Although we're all still reeling from the whirlwind day yesterday, we mustered the energy + motivation to hit the blueberry field today.
I think blueberry picking might be the perfect berry to pick. Here's why:
- There aren't prickers
- The berries are easily accessible on the bush
- The bushes are tall so there's not as much bending over (yay for less back pain!)
- The boys are much more self-sufficient with blueberries because they can easily tell ripe vs. not ripe
- They last longer. You can actually store them in the fridge for a few days before they start to soften. Fresh-picked strawberries, on the other hand, need to be attended to asap.
- There's just nothing more delicious than fresh-off-the-bush blueberries. Based on the number the boys managed to consume, I think they agree.
Blueberry season just started around here. Go out and pick some yourself. You'll see!
2017 EC Summer Bucket List
- Discover 3 new parks - TWO DONE
- Take a pony ride at a festival - CHECK!
- Weekend camping trip
- Pick strawberries - CHECK!
- Pick blueberries - CHECK!
- Attend a city or county fair - CHECK!
- Build a tree fort
- Bike a city trail - CHECK!
- Stay up past bedtime - CHECK!
- Visit an animal shelter
- Swim in three different pools - ONE DOWN
- Play mini golf
- Complete summer reading program at the library
- Ride the mini steam train
- Eat a s'more (Chase has requested one without the marshmallow) - CHECK!
- Attend an Express game - CHECK!